|Member of the|
Federation of Genealogical Societies
The name "Middlesex" is shown on
the 1789 map of Christopher Colles.
Vertical road is Old Kings Hwy. N.
N is north
x is Congregational Church
Z is Brookside Road
47 is miles from Federal Hall
Scofield is Darien Historical Society
Squiggly arrow is Goodwives River
Y is Sedgewick Avenue (to Oxridge)
The Middlesex Genealogical Society was established in 1982. The name "Middlesex" is derived from Middlesex Parish, the original name by which Darien, Connecticut, was known before becoming incorporated in 1820. The society's founders were from Darien and chose "Middlesex" to honor the town.
1982-1987 Robert E. Fatherly
1987-1991 Doris W. Hollander
1991-1991 Janet Jainschigg
1991-1995 Ray Bartlett
1995-1997 David Bowley
1997-2002 David L. Mordy
2002-2006 Donna Moughty
2006-2013 Lloyd Sturges Jr.
2013-2015 Steven A. Anderson
2015-2018 Peter Biggins
Founding of the Society
The following announcement appeared in the Darien Historical Society "Notes - 1983 Summer Issue:"
"On December 10, 1982, ten members of the Senior Men's Association of Darien met at the home of the Robert E. Fatherleys to consider the matter of genealogy and founded the Middlesex Genealogical Society with membership open to all interested persons.
"The name Middlesex was chosen as a reflection of sentiment and respect for "Middlesex Parish" by which name Darien was known when originally established by the state legislature in 1737 and so remained until incorporated as Darien in 1820.
"Recognizing the current interest in genealogy as one of the fastest growing avocations in this country, the Middlesex Society seeks to encourage the activity in its pursuit by providing knowledgeable speakers at four meetings each year, to include an annual meeting in March; to organize workshops; to maintain a headquarters for the collection of a library of relevant books and periodicals; and to hold consultation periods for beginners with experienced members or outside authorities, to the end that such neophytes may receive instruction in the art of ancestor research.
"In addition, the Society is cognizant of the threat of destruction by our mobile populace of much valuable genealogical material, perhaps unappreciated in one part of the country because it is indigenous to another - and seeks to explore the practicality of causing its return to the place of origin and historical relevance.
"The Darien Historical Society has graciously provided the new venture the use of its address - 45 Old King's Highway North and its meeting facilities and the Darien Library is providing shelf and meeting space as well."
- R. E. Fatherley
The initiative for the founding of the Society was provided by Robert E. Fatherley (1905-1995) who for years had been interested in genealogy. Organization and activities were under way even before the above announcement appeared and much of the success of the organization to date has been due to his continued interest and efforts.
For the record, the ten men who met with Mr. Fatherley in December, 1982, were as follows:
No time was lost in carrying out the initial plans discussed on December 10, 1982. An announcement appeared in the December 16th issue of the Darien News-Review. At an ad hoc meeting of the founders a Nominating Committee was formed to prepare a slate of Directors and other Officers to be voted on by all persons attending the first public meeting.
- Ray H. Bartlett
- George Cushman
- Leo J. Dunphey
- Fred W. Farwell
- Robert E. Fatherley
- Raymond H. Gross
- Charles F. Lemons
- Carl K. Moses
- Edward L. Warren
- Donald E. Wentworth
Plans were made for the first open meeting of the Society to be held at the Darien Historical Society on February 4, 1983, with Grant M. Radmall, Librarian of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in New Canaan, as speaker. This meeting, which was attended by a large number of interested persons, was the start of the Society which has prospered since that date.